It's easy to let your dog out and forget about the waste they leave behind when you are not looking. Pet waste is a huge nuisance and one that is often not tended to in the way it should. So here's 5 really good reasons why you should scoop the poop regularly.
1. One dog can excrete an average of .75 pounds per day. Over the course of 2 months, your dog, on average, will have deposited over 45 pounds of waste in your backyard.
2. You might say, it's waste and it will eventually decompose. Based on the time of year and weather conditions, it could take several months for a single pile of dog waste to decompose.
3. The EPA defines dog waste as an environmental pollutant in the same category as pesticides. It is dangerous to your family. Parasites like worms, coccidia, and giardia are prevalent in dog waste as well as bacteria and viruses that can harm you and your family. These can all be transmitted to other pets and some even to humans.
4. It attracts insects and pests like fleas and maggots. These insects themselves carry additional diseases.
5. When you mow your yard, these particles spread throughout the yard, onto plants, and you inhale into your lungs. It can leech into your groundwater and affect local water sources causing environmental dangers to local marine life.
For these reasons and more, add picking up dog waste to your weekly chore list for a healthier 2022.